Re: alfa-digest V9 #589

Dana,

My brother-in-law's 72 Spider, until recently exhibited exactly the same
behavior (fine stream of smoke and all), but the switch itself looked fine.
In this case the problem was an improper ground between the headlamp bucket
and the body.  Once I cleaned and tightned the ground strap, the problem
went away.  The small ground strap looked OEM, but may have been added by a
PO after a shunt or ???.   The reason I mention this is I don't remember
seeing this on any other Alfa.  Anyway....check the ground before you look
to replace the switch.  You may get lucky.   Also make sure the high-beam
contacts within the switch are, well, contacting.  If the metal to metal
union becomes loose, this could also cause these symptoms.

Good Luck,  Albert  Jacob