Gas tank color

'69 Spider client is one of the first to admit he wouldn't mind showing
his car a bit.

I'm pretty sure the gas tanks were originally silver - top and bottom.
His has been out (apparently repaired) and is a light gray. I absolutely
hate to see the silver sticking out the bottom. Sort of the equivalent
of the plumber's bum crack staring you in the face.

Is silver or gray the 'proper' color and if so, how many points will you
judges out there take off if it is nicely finished underneath with black
pick-up truck bed coating?

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

One would think I had better things to worry about, but unfortunately
stuff like this is part of my job description.