Re: Lower A-arm bushings / Koni's

Thanks to those who offered tips on replacing lower a-arm bushings.  I just completed the job this afternoon.  Along with new lower ball joints, there is a very noticeable difference.  While everything was apart, I noticed that one of the "pins" around which the bushing turns was somewhat scored.  I found a replacement, but it was in worse shape.  So I went with the old one but swapped sides under the theory that the bushing works in a small arc which would be different side to side.  Does anyone have advice on keeping the new bushings in good shape?  A previous owner drilled mine for grease nipples, but from what I can tell, they only grease the outside of the bushing!  Should I put a nipple in the grease cups on the ends?

Well, Erik.. I'm about to see if the one I ordered from APE is in better shape! (crossing fingers..)

AFAIK, the lower A bush centers aren't supposed to move on those pins.. they're supposed to be locked solidly on there by the nut and washers under the grease cap. Any movement should be between the rubber inside, the inner sleeve and outer shell.
That being so, and I'm just common sense guessing here, perhaps after putting it all together and driving it for a while, it might be an idea to re-torque those big nuts again, against the inner shells getting loose with driving stresses as things settle in.

Grease under the cap probably greases the center parts of the bushing, rather than just the outside, and I don't know if a generous amount under the cap would run out before the bushings die.. the nipple might be overkill. Though someone mentioned that as a cap removal method! ;-) (pump with grease gun till you pop off the cap)

Hope it helps..

Jon
77 Spider