fer real??

I'm surprised no one else has posted this yet:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/ae_news_story.php?id=37306
It is consistent with what I've heard from the Italian press in
recent weeks, and I'd love to think it was true, but I'm very
skeptical.  If it's true, I have to wonder why they'd plan on
building a different-looking car with the same mechanicals as the
Brera, which won so much praise for its styling.  I was thinking that
a Brera lookalike with more mediocre mechanicals would be a lot more
likely than what they're suggesting.  Also, where is the platform for
these other RWD offerings going to come from?  A Brera/whatever could
use the Maserati underpinnings, but that doesn't explain the 157,
etc.  And a new V8 with GM?  What would GM want with a new V8?  They
already have the Northstar, which is already too modern an engine for
use in cars like the Corvette that still appeal to a largely-redneck
sort of audience.  Any thoughts?

-Joe