Re: alfa-digest V9 #564

The belt jumped time, that's the ONLY way that could happen AFAIK.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 05:52 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:55:38 -0700
From: "phil caterino" <philcaterino@domain.elided>
Subject: V6 Bent Valve Mystery

The day after just having the timing belt replaced on my 91-164, I was
almost hit by a stop sign runner. I had to slam on brakes and abruptly
stalled the engine. On restarting the car sounded like I had fouled the
plugs and no low end. I drove it to the shop and they found (after
pulling the rear head) two bent intake valves. How could that have
happen? Only two of the three bent? Everything was adjusted and timed
properly, no signs of belt slipping. Any thoughts on this? Having
just done the stepper motor, clutch, and timing belt, I am about out of
money to keep Gabriella in the stable.