GTV6 cooling fan meltdown...(reasonably long)

Friends,

While out for a pleasant drive around the capital beltway (i.e. wasting time sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at 10:30 a.m.) I started to smell something burning. I caught a hint of it, then it was gone. A while later the smell came back with a vengeance and i watched as the engine temp began to creep up. I pulled over and popped the hood to find the source. First things first: coolant - good, drivers side fan, ok - pass side fan, not ok. pass side fan wiring - insulation melted off. following the wire to the connectors - connectos melted together. Since the radiator is in the way and I could follow the wiring no further, I headed to the wiring harness on the drivers side. The harness was split open exposing the wire which had by then shed it's insulation. Since the connector was fried, I cut the power wire and drove home (temp was fine at speed). Got home, removed fried fan, opened it up and discovered death, as expected. First of all, what could have caused such an event, and secondly...how does one go about replacing said fried components. I might as well replace both fans while I'm at it, but the real question here is the wiring. Upon initial inspection it the meltdown doesn't seem to have damaged any other circuits...thank goodness for that. I have some ideas of how to remedy this, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has come across a similar situation. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Ryan

84 GTV6
91 164S x2