RE: alfa-digest V9 #553

Warren,

With all due respect, I too have a degree in mechanical engineering, and
have
been working with different materials for many years, but sometimes, though
the technology has greatly advanced in material as well as other sciences,
the
*Bean Counters* force the designers and engineers to cut corners and provide
materials that are either marginal or under-engineered, ie. too thin or weak
provide the service required for the duration hoped for.  As a result
materials
often fail because either the best materials are not used or the parts are
too
thin, etc..  Case in point, just this week my Alfa mechanic showed me two
very
interesting items in his shop.  One, a brand new front pulley for my Spider
that
he checked, fortunately, before installing and it was cracked in the keyway
so he
had to get another one.  What if he hadn't checked, as many mechanics are
wont not
to do, since it was brand new???  The other was a pressure plate from
another Alfa
that was broken into 4 pieces.  Material failure due to crystalization.
Cest la vie
as the French say.  Maybe that is why I am careful and will probably order a
steel
flywheel.

Ciao!
Dan K.