Fuel Tamk Sender Gasket Material

I just replaced the fuel tank sender gasket for the 3rd time since I bought my
69 Spider Jr. about 6 years ago. The original was completely rotted and since
I couldn't find a replacement, I cut my own out of cork gasket material. I
thought cork would stand up to the gasoline but obviously I'm wrong. Any
suggestions for a better material?

On a related note, the leaking gas peeled off some of the black paint on the
tank and there appears to be some brown undercoating (no, not rust). Is this
original or was this tank repainted?

Mitch Wolberg,
Denver, CO
69 Spider Jr.