Brakes and shocks questions

To all,
I have been trying to take off the rear discs of my 79 spider and I cannot get
them off!! I have removed the caliper and the 2 flathead screws on the front
of the hub. I called centerline and they advised me about the handbrake
adjustment screw in side of the hub. I put the car in neutral, jacked up the
car and was then able to turn the hub so that I could get at the adjustment
screw. I tried turning the screw all the way in both directions and still
cannot get the disc off. I also thought that there may be a small lop around
the edge of the axle or something that is keeping me from getting this puppy
off. I cannot believe this is SO difficult, I must be missing something.
My next question has to do with the rear shocks. I bought a pair of KYB's for
the rear of my 79 spider and I am now wondering how I get the old ones out.
The current shocks are inside of the rear coils, do I need to squeeze the coil
so that I can get it out, or is there a way to pull the shocks out from the
top or something? Believe it or not , I have been enjoying trying to figure
these things out as I learn more and more about the inner working s of my
spider!! I look forward to your much needed advice. Brian, any races up your
way any time soon?

Thanks,
Pat Crawford, Dallas
79 Spider