Milano Alternator mounting?

Ok, I feel really stupid here and need some help.

I'm putting together a Milano engine that is been apart for longer than I
care to admit.

I mounted the alternator on the engine yesterday, and there is a small gap
between the upper bracket (the slotted one) and the alternator. This gap is
maybe 1/16" or a little more.

There are two large washers on the bolt and one small one. My recollection
is that one large washer went on each end of the bolt, and the additional
smaller washer goes on top of the bigger one under the nut.

I don't recall there being a washer or spacer between the bracket and the
alternator. Would someone be kind enough to look at their car and tell me
what's going on?

Also, stupid question #2 ... which way does the bolt go in?

Thanks,

Jeff