Flushing R-12 on Spider for R-134A?

Hello all,
 The kit to convert R-12 to R134A seems to be easy and straight forward @ PEPBOYS, but the only requirement is to flush all R-12 out of the system, how do we do this and make sure the system is clean of R-12?
 My 91 Spider Veloce a/c doesn't seem to click (activated) when I turn on the fan and slide the thermostate to maximum, what can be wrong?
 It's only 90 degrees here in the valley, but I plan to go to Vegas soon, I like to get the A/C up and running if I can.

Thanks,

Louis Le
91 Spider Veloce
Fremont, CA