From: LLe_2002 [mailto:ltooz@domain.elided]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 12:50 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Cc: alfaguy@domain.elided; C2slayman@domain.elided
Subject: 91 Spider VVT?

Hello all,
 My VVT (Variable valve timing?) solenoid fell off it's holder. The car
barely rev over 4500 RPM, the idle started to be randomly eratic. According
to the manual, the lock nut & the solenoid should be threaded tightly into
the holder, but somehow, the plastic insert all worn out and separated from
the case (another great design from alfa?).
 After taking the whole thing apart, pry off all the plastic around the lock
nut, I found a way to secure the lock nut & the solenoid to the holder.
Drill a hole on the holder case, using a screw thru this hole to press
against the lock nut after the adjustment (setting the solenoid to touch the
VVT pin). The Nut is tightly in place, turn on the engine, rev it up and I
can see the solenoid activated through the peek hole pushing the VVT rod in
and out.
 The car revs so smoothly now to 5500 RPM (with over 100,000 miles I don't
really want to push it with original engine). This little solenoid really
make the difference. The idle is stable.
 I have NO IDEA what this little push rod and solenoid do, the manual
doesn't say much. It does make or break the car performance. If anyone who
understand what it does, please let me know.
 The car passed smog 2 days before this VVT fellout of the holder, it failed
once @ idle due to eratic RPM (loose). Luckily the second time it passed.

Thanks,

Louis Le
91 Spider Veloce