Electric fan question

I've been thinking about an electric fan for the Spider ('77), when I get everything back together.

I wondered if anyone has retrofit the thermal switch from later years to and earlier radiator.. since I'm planning on getting a rod-out to be on the safe side, it probably wouldn't be that much more work for them to make the hole and braze in the fitting.

And that brings up the question, what size would a fitting be for the $10 mechanical thermal switches found in later cars, and where might I find one?

Not that I don't like electronics, but paying almost as much as a fan for a electronic adjustable thermostat seems a bit much..

Anyone done a conversion like this?

Jon
77 Spider