Re: Engine swaps

OK, I've not actually done this myself as I was lucky enough to find a very low milage Milano Verde engine, but I've seen the process done on someone else's car.

First of all, there is a fair documentation of the process available at

http://www.apedirect.com/larryjrprojects.html

But keep in mind that this is a 24-valve motor. The process for the 12-valve motor is very similar, the main difference is the heads and exhaust headers on the 24-valve motor.

There are essentially, two parts to this process:
1) Changing the engine block over from a tranversely mounted FWD engine/transaxel to a longitudinally mounted RWD engine.
2) Modifying the fuel-injection system for longitudinal operation.

First thing is that the engine block WILL fit your current 2.5 liter (I presume you currently have a 2.5 liter V-6 in your car) oil pan with some modification. Some new holes must be drilled in the block and tapped and the rear motor mount from your old engine must be bolted up to the 164 block as the FWD engine doesn't have this piece. Also, if you get a late-model engine, you will find that the flywheel bolts from your 2.5 engine (you need to use the RWD flywheel not the 164 starter ring wheel) won't fit the 164's crank because they are a different thread pitch. Good luck locating the correct ones. If you get an early 164 engine, you won't have this problem.

Next, the distributor must be moved. The FWD engine drives the ignition distributor from what will be the rear of the driver's side camshaft. This has to be moved back to the passenger side of the engine in the front, in unit with the oil pump. You can use the distributor that came with the donor engine, but you will need the drive gear from your old distributor. Frankly, it looks as if you will be better-off to use the distributor from your 2.5 liter engine here. If your 164 engine is a late enough model to incorporate Bosch Motronic Fuel Injection, rather than the L-Jetronic used in the GTV-6/Milano, you should remove all of the "points" related stuff, as Motronic uses a timing disc on the front of the crankshaft for all of that and the distributor in a Motronic equipped system just distributes the spark and does not power the ignition coil.

You also need to purchase a cover plate to plug the hole in the back of the head where the distributor USED to fit or you won't be able to keep oil in the engine (!)

Luckily, your 2.5 liter exhaust headers will fit the 12-valve 3-liter heads, so your old exhaust manifolds will work fine on your new engine. If you decide to go with a 24-valve 164 motor, be advised that the heads are quite different, and new headers will have to be fabricated because the manifolds from the FWD donor car won't work because they are cast at an angle to facilitate front wheel drive with an engine mounted cross-wise in the engine bay.

Once the engine is installed You have to deal with the intake. I strongly suggest that you take the inlet air plenum from your current motor along with the throttle body, cold start mechanism, intake air hose and throttle actuating mechanism from your current car. Don't make yourself crazy by trying to adapt the FWD intake setup to your RWD Alfa. But if you have a Motronic engine, you'll have to deal with the Motronic system as a whole, and that includes the intake plenum and long runners unless, of course, you decide to convert it back to L-Jetronic. If you do keep the Motronic setup, this will involve getting a 'U' shaped connector fabricated from aluminum as the intake from the airflow meter will end-up in your glove compartment, on the cabin side of the firewall otherwise.

If you do keep the air intake plenum and throttle-body assembly from your 2.5 liter motor, be sure to order a new 3-liter airflow meter (AFM). This can either be ordered as a new part, or you can fit a used one from someplace like APE. Also, if you feel adventuresome, it has been said that some benefit can be gained by fitting an AFM from a similar vintage L-Jetronic equipped BMW 6-cylinder engine (63X and 73X models, available at junkyards). It has a larger diameter and the hose from the AFM to the throttle body must be soaked in boiling water to stretch it to fit the BMW AFM mouth. I'd give the article referenced below a careful read before trying it though.

http://www.gtv6.org/index.shtml

Click on "Larger AFM Installation"

Name on article is:

"Larger (BMW) Bosch Air Flow Meter Installation"

My own experience says that you DO need the three liter AFM if you're going to fit a 3-liter engine. The 2.5 liter AFM from your current engine might look the same and certainly will work, but it's not optimum and you might experience insufficient air at high RPMs making the engine run rich and reducing power where it should be at it's highest.

These are just some of things that I know about what has to be done to affect this modification. APE in Tracy CA used to offer 12-valve 164 engines already converted to RWD for use in GTV-6s and Milanos for about $2000 with your old engine in exchange. You still had to use your 2.5's oil pan and rear motor mount strut, if I remember correctly, but at least all the difficult stuff was done for you (like the drilling and tapping and the distributor conversion). I don't know if they still offer this service, but a quick call to them at 1- (209) 833-8330 should yield you your answer.

BTW, if you are going to do this on a GTV-6, I cannot too strongly recommend that you also get a Power Steering conversion kit from APE and install PS in your GTV-6 while the engine's out . You'll thank yourself every time you get in the car from now on, believe me.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S