Throttle switch question in WET New England

Hello all,

Before the rains came, I had an opportunity to go on a day trip
on a major highway (Mass. Pike).  During the trip as I desired
to accelerate, opening the throttle produced no acceleration.
 Easing back on the throttle allowed the engine to continue.
 If I "pumped" the throttle, it corrected itself, but I had to
do this a few times on the ride out.  The ride back only required
this action once.

It felt like an electrical cut-out for when the throttle returned,
it was instant with no smoke or choke action.

Is a faulty throttle switch located opposite the mechanical throttle
the cause?  How can I test the switch?

As always, any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Rand
'87 spider quad.