Re: Alloy used in Alfa engines.

> Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:04:27 -0400
> From: rogerlaf <rogerlaf@domain.elided>
> Subject: Alloy used in Alfa engines.
>
> Metalurgicaly speaking I have no idea what the specific alloy is, but I can
> say this about quality: the fellow who machined my Alfa heads (out of the
> business now) told me a few years back that the aluminum used in Alfa
engines
> was the finest he had ever worked with! Without exception! The way it
worked
> and cut and the consistency of the castings. He would always take my heads
> because of the pleasure he got from working 'em ( I know it's a cliche but
> it's true)! This from a man who built many hundreds of NASCAR modified
> engines
> during his career and whos dad was a modified racing legend here in New
> England ("Fats" Caruso).
> Just thought youd like to know.
> Regards to all,
> Roger

What a coincidence.  I was *just* about to compose a message to the Digest
asking
if anyone knew what casting alloy Alfa used on various engines and
transmissions.
So... does anyone?

If enough of us are interested, we could always pass around the hat and pay to
have some pieces analyzed.

Regards,
-Tom
thomasw@domain.elided