Wires v alloys again

Provocative maybe, but what I see posted about this topic substantially supports my original post. Wire wheels are an anachronism, no longer suitable for use on automobiles. Interesting stuff about how bicycle wheels work and reverse tension (compression???) and so on. Fact is the spokes work in tension and the net effect is the bicycle hangs from the top spoke on each wheel. Sure, ALL the spokes are in tension but so what?

Wire wheels are heavy, hard to maintain, expensive, and not as rigid as alloy wheels pound for pound. End of debate.

Steel wheels flex, sometimes alarmingly. Good steel wheels are heavy, but I wonder how heavy compared to wires of equal rigidity?

My old 72 Datsun 510 had steel wheels so flimsy you could hear the wheel covers walking on the rim when I put a decent set of radial tires on the beast. Handled well but the wheels were compliant!

Cheers

and let the controversy continue.
Michael Smith
White 1991 164L