re: Wires v alloys again

>Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:37:45 -0600
>From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
>Subject: Wires v alloys again
>
>Provocative maybe, but what I see posted about this topic substantially
>supports my original post. Wire wheels are an anachronism, no longer
>suitable for use on automobiles. Interesting stuff about how bicycle wheels
>work and reverse tension (compression???) and so on. Fact is the spokes
>work in tension and the net effect is the bicycle hangs from the top spoke
>on each wheel. Sure, ALL the spokes are in tension but so what?

Wrong! A bicycle does not hang from the top spokes. The load of a bicycle is
supported by the bottom spokes. What makes it hard to understand is that a
bicycle wheel is a prestressed struction and will only work as long as there is
tenstion in the spokes. Without tension, a spoked wheel will collapse. You
can do a very simple experitment to prove this. All you need is a bicycle
and a volunteer to help you. With no load on the bike, pluck a couple of the
spokes on the rear wheel that are at the bottom of the wheel. Then have your
buddy sit on the seat. Pluck the spokes at the bottom again. You will notice
that the tone of the spoke will get lower. That tells you that the tension in
the spoke went down. Have your buddy get off the bike again. then pluck the
spokes at the top of the wheel. Then have your buddy get on the bike. Pluck
the spokes at the top. You will notice the tone of the spoke did not change.
That tells you that when loaded, the tension in the top spokes did not change.
If your theory were correct, that the bike hangs from the top spokes, then the
tone on the top spokes would change, but it doesn't. As someone else
suggested, you should get a copy of "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt and
read about how a bicycle wheel works. It is pretty straight forward once you
understand what is happening in a wheel.

>Wire wheels are heavy, hard to maintain, expensive, and not as rigid as
>alloy wheels pound for pound. End of debate.

For a car wheel, this is true. For a bicycle, it is not.