Centerline ID405

<I went with the modified Bosch ID405 distributor <from Centerline on
Project
<Alfa which is a '72 SPICA injected Spider. I got <this suggestion from a
guy
<that Wes Ingram referred me to. It's basically just <a magnetically
triggered
<pointless distributor with a specially modified <advance curve for the
Ingram
<HP SPICA pump

    This distributor is not designed specifically for the Ingram pump.  It
was designed with all the 1750/2000 carbureted or Spica injected models in
mind.  I does have more advance down low than the stock setup, so you get
better mid-range.
    One thing no one ever mentions about Crane systems (or any other system
using the original distributor), most of the time, the distributor is
already shot.  By the time there are 80,000-100,000 miles on an old Marelli
or Bosch unit, the shaft bushings are hopelessly worn, causing rotor to cap
misalignment.  Usually, the advance mechanism is  also shot, very
infrequently do they get lubricated, and are often horribly sloppy.
    For my tastes, the Centerline unit is tops, although I would say that ;)
It uses no external boxes, (we do have a setup like that if anyone is
interested) and can be run with the original coil or Blue coil.  The  beefed
up advance curve is very nice, especially if you live at altitude.  But the
best part, is that you never, ever have to set points again. YEA!!  The cap
and rotor are the same as an early Bocsh spider, and should be done about
every 20,000-30,000 miles.
    We now also have a unit for the small displacement motors (i.e.
1300/1600)  The part number is ID416.  It has even more mid-range advance.
    If anyone would like to know more, shoot me a mail off-digest, or give
us a call.

Nick
Centerline Alfa Romeo
888-750-ALFA