2L Main bearing problems

Hi all..

Well, of of from one problem and on to the next..

I've just put my new bearing shells in the main slots, and dropped my crank in there, laid down some Plastigauge, and tightened the caps up.

I noticed a few things that have me worried.. first off, there seemed to be some variation on how loose or how tight the nuts for the mains seemed to be. Some were extremely tight on one stud, and freely turning on another... and some were so loose, I could actually feel play side to side, like it was almost the wrong size!

Swapping them around ended up with most being a fairly good fit.. but it's got me wondering how it got this way, and how much I should worry about it.. Overuse of a die to clear the threads? Nuts deforming for some reason?

Second thing.. I got the five bearing caps on with the Plastigauge, I got two of them off so far. Assuming I'm reading it OK, it looks like I've got .003", or even a little more than that, for my clearance. I understand .0015-.0025" is what it should be. Of course we laid the crank in there with the counterweights sideways, so I couldn't try the other method of measuring as a cross check. (the undo on of the bolts, and slide a feeler gauge under the edge of the cap method)
Any ideas as for the best way to remedy this?

Third thing.. I did say two out of five main caps off. ;-) I am having a bit of difficulty in getting the others to come off. I don't have the special Alfa tool, been wiggling and tapping gently side to side.. Boy I sure will spend some time cleaning the inside of the stud holes in the cap, and the locating thingys around the base of the studs!!
Any suggestions for gentle removal of bearing caps without special tools?

TIA..

Jon and Marica
77 Spider (soon to be with the heart of a 72-74)