2L Main bearing problems

Ok.. some progress is being made.

I did get the rest of the caps off, the Plastigauge was
somewhat mangled, but the mark it made was still visible on the cap bearing. They were a little lower in reading (wider) and I have no idea how much it was changed by the crank turning. Somewhere between .0025 and .003", and I imagine the change by turning would make them wider then they were.

I then went over the bearing caps and block surfaces, both looking for and removing crud and or burrs on the mating surfaces. Also did lots of cleaning of the cap locating pins and their internal mating surfaces,
they are now hand removable, with paitence..

I put the bearings back in, this time oiled a bit, torqued up, and tried the loosen one bolt and use the feeler gauge approach. This also seems to say I have too much clearance, the book says I should see .003-.0039"
and I'm seeing .008-.010".

So, it would seem that the oversize is real.. I'll try the Plastigauge again in a bit.

Anyone care to comment on the best way to take a thousand or so off the bearing fit?

Jon
77 Spider