Electric fan in Spider

Being new to the wonderful world of Alpha ownership I'll try an say what
little I know and not insult anyone, forgive me if I do.  That said, the
water pump fan pulls air through the radiator.  Spiders equipped with
A/C, or who have added additional pusher fans are used to push air
through the radiator.  In affect, more air crosses the radiator faster
when the engine requires it.  Normally, the additional need for air is
required when the engine is stressed (bumper to bumper traffic on extreme
hot days, climbing hills, etc.)  The pusher fan on A/C cars automatically
turns on when the A/C comes on.  So what happens if your driving in a
stressed condition and the A/C is not on?  As others have mentioned,
there are manual switches, or they have a heat sensor to activate the
pusher fan (if installed).  My 86 spider has the heat sensor which sits
on the shroud and hangs over the water pump fan.  It to measure the
temperature of the air flow coming across the radiator towards the
engine.  I too questioned it's operational capabilities if the A/C is
off.  I glued the sensor to the radiator, and sure enough it turned on
when the radiator got hot.  After proving its capability I re-installed
it to the shroud.  You can also test the sensor by heating it with a
match (be careful if you attempt this, gasoline, burning self, etc...).
The car does not have to be on for the heat sensor pusher fan to kit in,
and it will stay on until the temperature drops.  I don't know what the
heat sensor temperature is pre-set for.  Hope this helps.

AJ in NJ

86 Graduate