Wanted: 164 Driver side door handle

"Daegrigg (Don)" <daegrigg@domain.elided> wrote:

> If you have or know where I can get one, please email off line.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don
> Already tried APE

Interior or exterior?  Front or rear?

Alfa Parts in Berkeley stocks all four exterior handles (four
different part numbers) or at least they did as of two months
ago.  The exterior handles cost a little over $30 new.  I don't
know if Alfa Parts carries the interior handles.  Their phone
number is (800) 890-2532.

I bought five exterior handles for my 164 (one of each plus an
spare driver's door).  They come painted with black primer.  I
actually prefer the black to body-color -- it goes well with
the black door mirrors and black B-pillar trim.  Nonetheless,
you'll need to paint the handles with a finish coat, black or
otherwise, because the primer will quickly turn an uneven gray
when exposed to the elements.

I wouldn't bother with used 164 exterior handles because they
are likely well on their way to failure.  The failure begins
with a dimple in one corner of the handle.  After a few months
of use, a crack appears, and shortly thereafter the handle
breaks off at the top.

It seems that door handles are a weak point of all Alfa Romeos.

Regards
-Tom
thomasw@domain.elided