Power Window repair :(

Greetings to everyone here,

I am having a problem with the power window on my 1994 Spider Veloce.  I'm
hoping someone here can offer a suggestion about it's repair.

The window was about half way down, and I stupidly leaned in to reach for
something and pushed it all the way down. It offered no resistance.  When I
tried to power the window up, I could hear the motor running, but window only
lifted about a half inch. I can pull it up, but the motor won't power it up.

I took the door apart and can see the window in it's track just like it
should be.  The motor works fine powering the window down, but not up.  So
I'm thinking it's one of two things: motor failure (could a motor work in one
direction, and not the reverse?) or a gear problem.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for any help/advice/encouragement that
anyone can provide!

Jamie in Ohio