Tire for importation info.

The following should be considered guiding information and not in any way a
guarantee of success.
I saw some nice Maserati wheels in e-bay Germany. I am thinking to buy them,
so I researched the matter, since I thought it will be more simple to get
them here with the tires on.. Here are the responses that I got.
US customs does not ban Euro-spec tires. EPA doesn't consider tires a
hazardous material, if they're in small amount and installed on wheels. DOT
sent me to DMV, and the understanding is that the controlling athority in
this matter is the DMV enforcing authority, your State Inspection  repair
shop. The mechanic should, at the time of inspection, read a DOT number
stamped on the tire sidewall.
All this is word-of-mouth, phone answers I got to my questions. I thought
someone might find the info interesting.
Vlad
'91 164L (looking now at e-bay Italy for 164 wheels)