Re: Removing Spider Steering Arm

Well.. an update.

I have the steering arm off. I marinated it in WD-40 overnight, and rented a nearly the same kit of pullers.
I cranked the same pittman puller till I was about to give up, and it popped. Whew. I was afraid of buying the kit by breaking another one.. Kragen wanted $115 for deposit/price for this set.. (??!!)

So, now with the center tie rod and arm loose, I proceed to put it in my vise, and try the tie rod end puller again, they still slip off the uneven steering arm surface. I try beating it with a hammer, succeed in leveling the mangled tie rod end somewhat, but they still slip. I try another tool kinda like a large clothspin, it gets some purchace, but still no go.. I heat the surrounding knuckle with a torch, and put on the clothspin... gets tighter, tighter... and suddenly loosens as one side of it breaks off like cheap pot metal... (!!!!) I now have a dented up vise, scarred steering arm, somewhat mushroomed but still firmly attached tie rod end.

In frustration, I get my cheap s#@$ Harbor Freight pickle fork, and start taking my agression out on it with a 3 lb sledge.. After much heavy bashing.. I realise the pickle fork is getting wider, and sure enough, a large crack is forming in the U of the fork, with the tines heading in opposite direction. (!!!!!!!!!!) I realizse the slightly too large fork has been just making a wish on the steering arm knuckle.

I'm wondering how much abuse can a steering arm take before I should get a new one.. I wish I heard about the side trick earlier, Charlie!! I'll give this a try, tonight I've given it a break, I think I've got tendonitis in my wrists from all the cranking of breaker bar arms and sideways swinging of sledgehammers..

Is Anti-Seize compound the answer for when I put my new parts together?

Jon - Icing wrists and popping Ibuprophan.. these Joint problems can be a pain!!
77 Spider

C2slayman@domain.elided wrote:

Jon,
I've not tried to remove the steering arm, but I have removed the idler arm. A sharp blow on the side of the knuckle seems to unseize the joint. This trick is also
effective on all the suspension knuckles and ball joint knuckles. It seems like a side blow sets up some kind of vibration that breaks the seizure of the taper fitting more effectively than a knuckle fork or puller.

Good Luck,
Charlie