SSS question

I'm quite happy several of you have chosen to comment on some of the
early prototypes.

However...you all forgot to answer the question part, i.e., how does one
lift the trunk lid with the headrests molded onto it?

Last eve, after primering a car, I was leaning against the 'front yard'
Alfetta GT chatting with the rice rocket, engineer-in-training (believe
he's a college junior) young chap from next door. I showed him the book
with the SSS (I'll stick with that designation for now) Spider and asked
him the question. His answer, " Simple, double hinges." True he didn't
exactly get down on the asphalt and draw a diagram of it in the
overspray, but believe that must be the solution.

So what does an old guy do who works on Alfa Spiders seven days a week
for relaxation? Women / woman / get a hobby / both / all? Unless you
count 'what I would do if I won the lottery' a hobby, it's pretty much
fantasize over cars (if I really did win the lottery). (I'm so glad I've
matured with age).

At the moment and in the shop area, in front of the bar / kitchenette's
plexi window sits the '69 Round-Tail I've had for sale for eons. Coulda
sold it long ago if I could make it a 100 pointer for around $5k. Just
past it is a client's '69 Round-Tail which has just had its new front
panels (upper panel, along with bump and partial grill surround, and
lower cowling with rest of grill surround) welded on. Around the corner
is the '79 Spider with its final primer (waiting for me to wet sand as
we speak).

Now visualize the front end which was removed from client's '69 Spider
(in one piece) sitting in the back of my '69 (on boxes) with the open
end (rear portion) facing forward (car's front is to the right). Since
the panels are angled up, they look like a rear panel being hinged
upward. Okay really not important, but between that and the handy 'Alfa
Romeo Duetto Spider' book sitting on the bar, got me to thinking as to
how much work would it take to modify a Round-Tail to look a lot like
the SSS? (A lot).

Now, I abhor people who modify their Alfas and (like John H.) really
prefer tin tops...but since I have the '69 just sitting there in the
shop gathering dust and am blessed with incredibly good taste (along
with incredible modesty)...hmmm, might be interesting to think
about...at the very least.

In any event I would like to add a page (or two) on my website regarding
the Pinin Farina early show cars which sported  the convex sides [or as
John H. referred to them as the 'Duetto side gouge' (one sort of gets
the feeling it wouldn't have been his choice of design cues)].
Essentially the page would show the various design studies leading up to
the Duetto (and its offspring).

John, can I sort of quote you on how some of the 'Duetto came into
being' gossip? I'll label it as such and leave out your name (unless
you'd prefer otherwise).

Also...appreciate Will Owen's specific date regarding the month / year
of the SCI article regarding Superflow III. I'm pretty sure I have the
mag. but could you send me your jpgs, just in case?

Believe the later SCI (Sports Car International) had an article on the
Superflow. I'm pretty sure the car they used was located in Florida. My
stack of their magazines is only about 18" high so should be able to
find it - unless someone knows the exact date - and / or information on
any of the other 'Design Studies' sporting side gouges / concave sides.

Thanks all,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA