smog and Spica

As some of you know, I'm helping on Wes Ingram's new Spica book.  He won't
mind my quoting from a recent e-mail on Spica pumps, and if Wes says it
about Spica, it is so.   Says Wes:

"This is off the top of my head but critical to the technician and the
do-it-your-selfer:  If the pump is old with high mileage (60K+) check for
oil dilution before any tuning efforts. I can cite example after example
where 2 to 3 hours of tweaking at $ 70.00 per hour ended up as an exercise
in futility because the pump needed new plungers and barrels. The reader
must know that the problem exists in huge numbers but is solved when we
replace the P & Bs. The problem (premature wear) seemed to
happen during the beginning of the unlead era, (early 70s). Today's fuels
1990 through 2003 seem to be fine. We do not have a problem once the P & Bs
are replaced."

"The only positive way to check for fuel in the oil is to remove the
altitude
compensator and take a sample of the oil. Put it in a glass jar. It very
likely will have a stench unlike oil and unlike gasoline and it will be as
thin as water. The inside of the pump should contain only pure engine oil."

So most of our Spica pumps need rebuilding.  The one in my Spider is going
to Wes soon.  But if and when Portland stiffens smog tests, I am confident I
can pass any reasonable test with a well-tuned Spica pump.  Then after
you've passed, back out the fuel cut-off solenoid to the correct performance
level and off you go.

Incidentally, Wes is looking for rebuildable thermostatic actuators, so
please let him or me know if you have any lying around.  And no, I'm not an
employee, just privileged to be working with a great guy to preserve an
elegant and technologically superior piece of Alfa's heritage.

Peace,
Joe
Portland, Ore.
'72 PIR Slut Spider w/ stock Spica
'73 Berlina w/ Ingram HP Spica, not active yet.