Spider downpipe interchange

In a message dated 5/6/2003 2:29:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 11:18:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: PJ Wise <verenaragazza@domain.elided>
> Subject: Spider downpipe interchange
>
> Hi All:
>
> I picked up a two piece exhaust manifold for my '81/'78 Spider (as in '81
> Spider
> getting '78 SPICA system) and with it I got a downpipe the seller said
> probably came
> from a Sport Sedan or a Alfetta. It's cut off a couple of inches past the
> resonator. He
> said he thought the downpipe connection, length and first hanger were
> pretty much the
> same, and that they differed after the can for the various 2 litre models.
>
> A look in the IAP catalog Sunday shows downpipe line drawings that are
> pretty much
> identical, but lists different numbers for the coupes and spiders. Do I
> have something
> that will bolt up easy/I can make work without too much hassle, or are they
> so
> different that a Spider-specific piece should by used?
>
> Sorry...I haven't been over to the car to hold it in place to judge fit,
> besides, the
> head is off anyway, and I'm not sure I'd be doing a legit test just holding
> the piece
> there in space. Any experience or suggestions in retrofitting the old-style
> manifold
> and the interchangability of the downpipe?
>
> Grazi,
>
> PJ Wise
> '81/'78 Spider Veloce
> Nemah, Washington

       The two piece European Alfetta manifold and head pipe is TOTALLY
different from the spider.  The Alfetta has one head pipe in front of the
motor mount and one behind.
       The European Alfetta manifold is a nice design and might work nicely
on a custom installation, but it will not work on a 105 / 115 chassis.  I
guess it might work if you cut a hole in the crossmember under the engine.
       What you need is a set of 65 through 74 exhaust manifolds with a set
of 74 head pipes.  Any muffler shop can make connections.  Or order a full
system to fit a 74 spider.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City