RE: Smog tests

Along these lines, here's a question for you valve timing experts.  My
'73 has the valve timing adjusted with a bit more overlap than stock.
Under high loads and RPM, that can make it pull unburned charge through
the exhaust right?  Could the opposite effect be obtained going the
other way?  You would have a temporary sacrifice in power to pass a smog
test, then set it right again.  I 'gotta be missing something here.

I'm sure I'll think about how stupid a question this is later.
RAA
'73 Spider
'87 300 SDL