Re: Transmission question (newbie, please be gentle)

Hi Andy:

I've only spent a few hundred hours under one Spider or another, and I've
got no idea what you're talking about!!!   I know the Digest won't accept a
picture, but I've attached one of the gearbox from my '74 Spider (you'll
see it in your email, though), sitting alongside the car, with the
passenger side in view.  Do you see anything that looks like what you're
describing?  The slave cylinder mounts low on the bellhousing, on that same
side, but it can't be that, can it?  Surely, I'm not the only one curious
about your mystery.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 05:35 PM 5/6/2003, you wrote:
>Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 14:55:07 -0500
>From: Andy Menapace <a.menapace@domain.elided>
>Subject: Transmission question (newbie, please be gentle)
>
>Through marriage, I have acquired a 79 Spider.  I've done some work under
>the tutelage of Mike Hemsley and Richard Jemison.  I have a question about
>the transmission that may take a brief description to explain.  I have
>referred to the Bible and to the Owner's manual (both on my bed-side table)
>and don't recall seeing anything on this item.
>
>Placed high on the passenger side of the transmission housing, near the
>engine is a slot (roughly 1.5 inches tall and 3 inches long).  Out of the
>slot is a plate, horizontal and perpendicular to the drive shaft.  This
>plate is connected to a rubber bulb that is filled or saturated with Fluid
>(brake, transmission, clutch?).  When the motor is running, the fluid is
>sprayed lightly from this bulb to the ground.  What is this part and how
>should I go about fixing it, if at all?
>
>Humbly,
>
>Andy Menapace
>Brandon, MS

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of trans2.jpg"; x-mac-type="4A504547"; x-mac-creator="4A565752]