re: NWARC event - more personal musings

Thanks for sharing this, Damian! A wonderfully unsolicited testimonial
to the incredibly fun group the NWARC is. AND, when we have the convention
in Seattle in 2005 you'll all see who has the best drivers &:-). I had the
pleasure (or rather, that's a love/hate thing) of watching the event,
instead of driving, so I got to see all of you, too. From the digest we
had Steve Schaeffer, who actually drove the Ginetta, Dave Kingstone in
his GTV6, Fred Wright and his wife Kathy Lombardo in their GTV6, Joe
Faherty and son Patrick in his GTV, Bruce Ryan in his Sprint Speciale,
Tino and Roberto Perrina in the Betta Fetta, and Phil Edwards in
his Mazda RX7 racecar. Wes Ingram was driving his GTV Red Ryder and
keeping up with a chipped *500 hp* 993 twin-turbo. (Which says a lot
about both his driving skill and his programmable fuel injection.) Did I
miss any digesters? We had our typical impressive variety of cars --
which would probably stun those of you who've not attended one of our
events, including other Alfas not driven by digesters. I think the
3-cylinder was a Subaru and not a Geo, although some of our members do
track their Geos .... I had never seen an Enzo before; when it pulled up
to the gate to sign the waiver (and NO, I wasn't so slimy as to try to
touch it, but I touched the pen that touched the hand of the owner), all I
could think was, "wow, here comes a car that probably cost more than my
house." Followed by, "Wow, that's a lot of red." The owner, who was an
ex-MSFTie, had just bought it and casually asked if there might still be
room for him to register to drive in the event. I think Kathleen bent the
rules to let him in so we could see it run. (She knows more about Italian
cars than I do.) &:-)

Er, Damian ... I think the word you are looking for is "friends", not
"fiends" &:->. Tom Nuxoll was in the black GTV, and Jeff Butler was
driving the Mafia 5-series BMW. The three of you (Thomas -- whom y'all
know from the digest, Tom and Jeff) passed us nose-to-tail doing about
110 early on the front straight and still breathing easily. What a doppler
effect! I was riding with Phil Edwards in his racecar, so had the
pleasure (again, that love/hate thing) of watching you three.

Damian, I'll admit also that there have been times in the past when I was
out on the track and had either Thomas or Tom appear in my rearview
mirrors (but just for the few seconds before I got passed). Seeing a
black GTV slip from my right side mirror through my rearview and over to
my left side mirror (and then back through my rearview to my right
sidemirror again) is STILL good for making me feel like I don't know jack
about driving, either.

Tess