Spider Gearbox Compatibility

Friends,
Last week Tony B said he was doing some Spring cleaning and offered up, amongst other items, some gearboxes.  I need one for my 87 Spider Quad, and asked him about them.  He said that they were part of a package deal on a '81 Spider undergoing restoration - he thinks one is original and the other (of unknown vintage) was intended to be its replacement.  He suggested that I ask the folks on the list - that would be you - whether the earlier transmissions are compatible with my car.  Again, my car is an '87, the replacement gearbox is unknown year but intended to go into an '81.  My car is otherwise running, so I'd like to use my bellhousing, meaning there would be no issue regarding the fuel injection flywheel sensor.

Whaddya think?  Should this fit?

Dave Martin
dwmartin@domain.elided