RE: 10:1 Pistons, 116 transaxle

> Hello All,
>
> I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks, I have a 75' alfetta
> that I bought last year. I'm now finally in the process of making it
> "California legal" I.e.: smog. The car was from Washington state, as
> such it had been converted to Webbers, which I have now
> removed awaiting
> my rebuilt spica that came out of a 79' sprint donor that I
> now also own
> ( bought for it's spica,air pump exhaust manifold etc). The engine is
> now out of the car.  I've had the original head surfaced and
> the valves
> done. ( it had Shankle cams in it, which I plan to use)  Prior to the
> engine removal it had the usual 2nd gear problems ( hard to shift,
> grinding).  The drive shaft came out with the engine. That being the
> case, my questions are as follows:

Hi Chris,

I'm doing roughly the same thing - putting a 75 Alfetta GT back on the
road,  but primarily for track use.  Still, mine has to pass smog at
least once as well, but hopefully if the current legislation doesn't
change the rolling exemptions will make this the last smog check for a
while. <touch wood>.

And I would do your best to get your on the road before July, when the
new law goes into
effect.  Who knows how we'll make them pass on a dyno.  I'm trying like
heck to get mine done ASAP!

> 1)       Is there a way for me to tell if the current pistons
> are stock
> 9:1 or 10:1
> I know that the 9:1 are stock, but since the last guy
> installed the cams
> I can only wonder if he went for the Hipo pistons as well?

The shape of the pistons are different, but I don't know the exact
differences off the top of my head.  I think this was just discussed
this week, you might go back through the last few digests for some tips.
A good Alfa mechanic should be able to tell on inspection.

> 2)       Can I pass smog w/10:1s???

I think so, as long as everything else is working and tuned properly.
One trick is to install a sacrificial catalytic converter just before
the test, then pull it off right afterwards.

> 3)        If the pistons are 10:1s should I just replace the Liner and
> rings or should I just bite the bullet and buy 10:1's and new
> liners????

I don't think you can buy just the liners.  If you want to save some $$
just replace the rings.  Did you do a compression check before you
pulled the head?  Do you know the piston/liners/rings are bad?  If you
don't want to do it again next year, just buy new ones.

> 4)        I'm thinking that I should use the 79's flywheel,
> drive shaft
> and clutch since it seems that early guibo's are hard to come by. Is
> this a good Idea????

Yup, you want the later driveshaft, since the earlier donuts are NLA.
Might as well replace all three donuts and the carrier bearing while
it's out, and a balance wouldn't hurt either.

> 5)         With 2 trans between the 2 cars can I swap the
> syncro's from
> 4th & 5th in the 79 to 1st & 2nd  in the 75????

You can, but it seems like a lot of work just to reuse old parts... I
would just buy new ones, especially if you're going to spring for
lightened gears.

> 6)         I plan on having 2nd gear lightened, should I do
> 1st as well

You have to do them all to get the benefit... They don't spin
independantly unfortunately.

> Peter Chrimes
> Pasadena, Ca.
>
> 75 Alfetta
> 79 Sprint Veloce ( donor )

Have fun, and good luck!

Ian Lomax
71 Spider, 74 GTV future project, 75 Alfetta GT current project