Re: 10:1 Pistons, 116 transaxle

>5)         With 2 trans between the 2 cars can I swap the syncro's from
>4th & 5th in the 79 to 1st & 2nd  in the 75????

The syncros are all the same. In fact, one rebuild procedure for saving
money ( I think from IAP catalogue or Pat Braden's Bible) is to replace
three of them and move the other two around - I forget which, 5th and
reverse?

>6)         I plan on having 2nd gear lightened, should I do 1st as well

Only lightening one doesn't have much impact on the system, as several
gears are spinning together on a shaft. I've heard 3 gears minimum. Maybe
other's have details - Tom Sahines lightens them and knows the affects.

>2)       Can I pass smog w/10:1s???

This is interesting and I've been wondering something - the rolling dyno
smog check is coming to California this year. My Alfa mechanic, Chris
over at Roger's, tells me that Roger will be out of the smog business
because of this. The machine costs $40K, so he'll just stop doing smog.
I've been wondering how Spicas will fare with this. We won't have an
Alfa tech to adjust things while doing the smog test. Spicas supposedly
are clean if set up right, but how do we know what they will do with a
load? Has it ever been tested?