installing shocks

In a message dated 5/1/2003 5:59:06 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:05:07 -0700
> From: "Glenn Wasserman" <glennwa@domain.elided>
> Subject: installing shocks
>
> I have a set of KYBs on the way for my '93 Spider. Is installation
> difficult to do at home, in a garage, by this checkbook mechanic?
>
> I would like to give it a try - I've done some simple repairs (brake
> jobs, oil changes, etc.)... it would seem to me that as long as I don't
> have to mess with the springs, replacing the shocks shouldn't be too
> difficult. Does anyone have any tips/tricks/general instructions?
>
> Thanks
>
> - -Glenn

       Front shocks are pretty easy.  The top of the passenger side might be
a bit tight on clearance.
       The rears come up toward the rear window.  You need to remove some of
the rear carpet.  Look into the front of the trunk and drop down the flap
that hides the jack.  Up in each conner you will see black caps sticking up.
Those are the covers over the tops of the rear shocks.  And the plates you
see between the shock towers and the passenger compartment will be visible
from the back side.  Of course, you cannot take the plates off from the trunk
side.
       The bottom of the rear shocks are double nutted.  You may have to put
vice grips or something through the rear springs to prevent the shock from
turning while you break the double nuts loose.  A bit of penetrating oil will
help here.

       Some gas pressure shocks want to expand on their own and need to be
collapsed to fit into place.  You can press them together and wire them in
the collapsed position.  Once you get them into place, cut the wire.

       Good luck.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City