Re: home made torsion bar removal tool - ball joint separator tool?

Derek Ealy wrote:
Well I think I've got everything figured out for my attempt at lowering the front of my Milano this weekend, except for the ball joint separator. I see the one sold by international is $57, which is pretty darned expensive.
I think Autozone and its ilk will loan you the right tool for "free" (you buy it, but get your money back when you return it.)

and cheaper big assed fork to separate my lower control arm from the steering knuckle, or is that likely to damage things?
It will work, but do so only if you plan to replace the lower ball joint (which might not be a bad idea if this has never been done.) The only problem is where to get the ball joint. Is IAP still selling FRAP (a.k.a. CRAP) ball-joints? Lemforder(sp?) are supposed to be the ones that last.

I'm going to have to take pictures of this process if I attempt doing the job this weekend. It really sounds like more than a notion.
Good idea. Better idea add those pictures and anything else you learn to the relevant Wiki topic: http://alfa.denovich.org/twiki/bin/view/Alfa/RideHeightAdjustment

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org