74 Spider starter woes...

It's poor form (and not like me) to ask questions before doing some
homework, but I'm hoping to benefit from others' experience.  My Spider
began quite abruptly yesterday to make a sharp metallic grinding popping
sound on cranking, which on minimal hurried inspection seems to come from
the starter and to go away when the car fires. Runs fine.  So,
* loose shoulder bolt?
* new starter driver gear?
* new flywheel ring gear?

Am assuming that the first thing to check is the bolt, hope that it's
loose...then on to pulling the starter (under the Spica stuff...yikes!) to
see what its teeth look like, hoping all the while that it's not flywheel,
right?

Any quick suggestions?

Many thanks,

mark