Manual transmission oil: what is the best

Following the last debate about AFT in tranny, what is the best oil to put in
a manual transmission for the spider 3 series ?

I changed the tranny oil last winter in my 1986 spider for generic synthetic
80W90 oil.

Yesterday, I drove my car for the first time since last October and I heard
sound coming from the tranny in neutral. Also, the syncho feeling was quite
different as well as the shifting and I had to double clutching to retrograde
(OK that is not so bad).

The new oil doesn't seem to have improved but rather diminished the previous
smooth shifting (if possible for an ALFA) condition of my tranny.

Any tips ?

Damien