Now you've got me thinking, and I'll take a look at the wiring diagram. The motor itself only has two wires, but maybe the third you're seeing is a ground. If there is a ground required for the motor, rather than just polarity reversal, the motor must ground through being bolted to the door, as I didn't see any ground strap or wire anywhere near the motor. And, like all Alfa's, grounding can be a problem. As for gummed up mechanisms, or the like, I completely disassembled, and cleaned/re-lubed the entire system. I've got two brand-new motors, and the new one in the right door works about as well as the old one in the left door. The switch is also new. I wish I'd thought of the ground issue while the door panel was still off, though. Thanks for trying your doors for me, and prompting me to think some more.

Regards,

Dean

At 11:02 PM 4/28/2003, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:45:23 -0400
From: Gilbert Gagne <gilgagne@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: power mirrors/windows - '87 Spider

Dean,
I've got spare Veloce doors with power windows but the wiring cable
between door and jamb has been cut. I located the three wires for the
motor and applied 12 volts from a spare battery. The windows go up and
down as fast as the ones in my wife's Chevy Cavalier. Its likely
something may be gummed up in the mechanism in a 17 year old car.
Gil
1985 Spider
Port Orange, FL