Re: Milano torsion bar adjustment, stuck lower control arm

Hi Derek,

> Hey guys, I'm trying to lower the front of my Milano, and
> am not sure how to disconnect the lower control arm from
> the steering knuckle/wheel assembly, or if that even
> needs to be done. The workshop manual says to remove it,
> but the instructions I've found on the internet do not
> mention disconnecting it.

> Does anyone know if this is required, and if so how. I
> was worried that prying it apart w/a screwdriver might
> mess things up, or that I might not be able to get it
> reseated.

> Any ideas or suggestions?

You *will* need to separate one of the ball joints to unload the torsion bar
sufficiently to allow to you pull the torsion bar out of its mounts. You
cannot pull the bar out under load, all you do is strip out the thread on
the end of the rod. Been there, done that :-(

The best ways to do this are with a ball-joint splitter or simply beating on
the sides of the eye in the lower ball-joint. In both cases, back off the
retaining nut, but leave it on to catch the suspension when the ball-joint
lets go.

Don't use a pickle-fork style separator (it will destroy the boot). I doubt
you'll be able to simply pry them apart.

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i (currently engineless)
--
Tony Lupton                    *     ReTech Global Pty Ltd
Release Manager             *    *   23 Hi-Tech Court
tlupton@domain.elided       *     8 Mile Plains Qld 4113
Phone: +61 7 3340 2664               Australia
Fax:   +61 7 3340 3550        *      www.retechglobal.com
This email and any attached files are
* confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient
* subject to copyright and the Privacy Act (Cth)
* not intended to create legally binding relations until contracts on
acceptable terms have been signed by all parties.
Any confidentiality or privilege is not lost or waived because of any error
in sending this email to you. If you have received this email in error,
please advise by return email, delete it from your system and destroy any
copies.
Our company is not responsible for any viruses or harmful programs passed on
down via email. You should have installed, up to date virus scanning
software.

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and should not
necessarily be taken as those of the company.