Round-Tail Spider (wanted)

In #450 Steven asks: "Please contact me about any roundtail Spiders
(1966-69) FOR SALE in the
Northeast (esp. NY, NJ, CT & MA). Good or restorable condition (prefer
good undented body with no rust, mechanical shortcomings not a problem).
Thanks! --Steven (immels@domain.elided or tel 212 758-1946) "

**********

Steven, not trying to be cynical (okay, maybe a wee bit) but if you
actually find a Round-Tail with an undented (I'm assuming never dented
as opposed to one that has a great deal of filler in it but the dents no
longer show) And rust free Especially one located in the Northeast -
please, please send me a photo of it.

I currently have another '69 Spider in the shop undergoing a partial
restoration. Except for the interior floor and door panels, most Alfisti
would think the car was perfect as is. Right now the car is pretty much
gutted and while not a lot, there are some rust areas on the floors
(around the seat bolts) which need attending to. There have been some
patches done in the past. The rear has been hit (although apparently not
too hard) and been fairly well straightened. It will be perfectly
straight by the time it leaves the shop.

Additionally the front is in the process of being cut out and new panels
sourced from Chris at Highwood will be welded in. While to most the
front didn't look bad at all, it just wasn't right. First, no bump,
secondly a partial  (apparently used) front upper cowl section was cut
in and welded. Not sure if it was out of ignorance (or?) but the opening
for the grill was lengthened .75" so that the top bump on the grill
didn't raise above the front edge of the cowl. Also, the curve of the
cowl was not the same from side-to-side.

Yeah, I'm well aware you weren't asking for restoration advice, but I
wanted to indicate what is involved in restoring, a very good So. Cal.
Round-Tail.

As long as we're talking, the car was not only the wrong red (too much
blue in it - should be on the orange side) and it was clear-coated.
Yeah, I'll get a lot of flack on that one. "I have all my cars clear
coated and since it's my car I'll paint it any damn shade of red, or
whatever, I want."

The three panels (later factory Spider upper cowl and aftermarket lower
cowling along with partial top panel with bump and partial lower grill
surround) delivered from England were rather expensive - but should save
considerable hours in trying to get the old panels to fit correctly.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you or anyone from restoring a
Round-Tail, just be realistic as to the likelihood it's never been hit
(well aware that's not what you said) nor that it doesn't have rust.
Very few Alfa Spiders are rust free and the newest Round-Tail is 34
years old.

Good luck,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA