Re: Complete Clutch disengagement

Erik,

I was having the same problem with my 1750 last fall after a day at the
track. I looked at all of the usual things, but the release fork was moving
about 5/8 inch at the bell housing, so it didn't appear to be the pivot pin
(not split), master cylinder (two years old), hose (two years old), or slave
cylinder (two years old).

As of right now, I still have no definite idea what is causing the problem,
but I have a suspect as outlined below.

I was planning on removing the trans this past winter for synchro
replacement, and now the trans is off the car.  I have not checked the clutch
itself closely, but a cursory look at it seemed to indicate it was okay.  But
I will check further.

The only thing that is even remotely suspicious, is that there appears to be
a worn place on the fork that looks like it was made by the fork coming off
the pivot point at the standard place and pivoting on another spot.  I looked
at the clip holding the throwout bearing onto the fork, and it was really
loose on one side.  Also, the clip that holds the fork to the pivot did not
seem to be all that strong, so I ordered a new one with the synchros.  The
new pivot clip appears to be significantly stronger (metal fatigue probably).

I should have the trans back together this weekend and on the car.  I will
let you know what I find out.  If you get some other advice, I would
appreciate your passing it along.

John Justus
1971 1750 GT Veloce
1995 164Q