Re: Milano engine into Alfetta

Have been following this threadlet with interest, and concur with George
Graves' opinion that it would make far more sense to start with a GTV 6 than
to convert an Alfetta GT. If Kyle is talking about converting a Sport Sedan,
as Richard Welty thinks equally possible, the conversion makes a bit more
sense - if one wants a 116 V6 sedan in the USA and dislikes some aspect of the
Milano (e.g., the idiosyncratic appearance) but it would still represent a bit
more work (and money) than the discussions to date suggest.

One problem - not insurmountable, but a problem - is the radiator. Cool the V6
with the radiator of a two-liter, in Dallas, in August? Perhaps, but don't
call Fred if it overheats. Use the Milano radiator? Perhaps, but without
measuring I'll bet that it won't drop into a Sport Sedan's front bulkhead, and
it sure won't drop into an Alfetta coupe's, nor will a GTV 6 radiator. Plan on
some serious rebuilding. The front crossmembers below the fronts of the
engines also are different - GTV 6 different than the Alfetta GT, Milano
different than the Sport Sedan. Nothing a serious modifier with a torch
couldn't alter, with careful measuring, yo-yoing the engine in and out for
trial fits, discrete cutting and fabrication, but not a drop-in swap like a
1750 into a 1600.

Similarly at the other end; George writes "I don't think there's any
difference between the 4-cylinder Alfetta's rear suspension and the Milano's."
No difference in principle, but compare the Watt's Links: at least one of the
V6 variants has a seriously bent link to clear the exhaust. If you can count
on routing the V6 exhaust through the same size pipes and bends as the 4, ok;
otherwise, study and plan ahead, and don't assume a drop-in swap.

Fuel lines and routing? Wiring? Structure? There were many detail changes -
gutting the car and seam-welding and adding discrete gussets in the right
places could make a better-than-factory assembly, but I wouldn't do it to save
work or money. Air conditioning (in Dallas, after all -)? The GTV 6 (or
Milano) system would not be overkill, an Alfetta system probably much less
adequate with a V6 in an earlier car which is probably less insulated and
probably spewing more heat.

That is not to say I wouldn't consider modifications. A first-series Alfetta
Berlina hull, seam-welded, with a Twin Spark (or a 1.8 Turbo, for those who
like blowing) and V6 brakes (off either car) and a Milano gearbox, monodisk
clutch, isostatic linkage, and limited slip (and Euro bumpers, Milano seats -
- ) etcetera could be a very entertaining and discrete ride. But my guess is
that anything worth having would probably take more money, time, and cost than
a ground-up restoration on a fairly good stock beater.

A car such as Hans Milo's Sei-engined 115 GT Veloce shows that grand things
can be done, with time, much thought and plenty of skill, if one has the
motivation. Lots of unfinished projects show the limits most of us run into.
If you chose, go for it, and enjoy. Don't let some Cassandra spoil your fun.

John H.