Fred Di Matteo online

I was first chastized by Fred a few years ago, when he assumed I was working without a manual. I had the manual, I was just having problems accessing some of the necessary bolts. I don't take well to being scolded, and I held a bit of a grudge over the tone of that first message.

However, when Bill Daemke told me to "stop bitching, and get in there and fix it" on the phone, it didn't bother me at all. Email is such a poor conduit for emotional context, it's easy to take people the wrong way. I remember trying to save money on long distance in college by "talk"-ing to my girlfriend over the then new-fangled internet. I ended up spending twice as much, as I always had to call and explain what I really meant.

It wasn't until mid February that I got a better idea of who Fred was. He had visited the Wiki and looked at my photo galleries. We exchanged a series of emails. We talked about digital cameras, Pittsburgh, my wife, and being called Fred (my parents have used that nickname for me from birth.) He also encouraged me to come down for the convention. I'm saddened that even if I do make it down I won't get to meet him in person. It would have probably been the best part of the trip.

--Mark