RE: More on Fred

> - It reminded me that we often don't give time or credit to
> our elders like many "less developed" cultures. He was wise
> and knowledgeable about Alfas beyond what many of us will
> ever attain. He has made a lasting impression on me to
> appreciate wise folks like himself.

There are (were) a few other knowledgeable 'elders' on this list, many
who have been driven away by some individuals who knew better, or
thought they could teach them some manners.

To me, this is the thing I most regret about this forum, that those who
don't know any better don't take the time to learn who's really behind
some of the postings, and treat them with the respect they've *earned*,
over many, many years of dealing with these cars we all love so much.
There are people on this list who have forgotten more than most of us
will ever know about these cars.

For those who thought Fred was a bit impatient at times, consider how
many times he answered the same, basic, newbie question over the last 50
years.  Probably thousands of times.  And yet he was always here to
answer it one more time.  To me, Fred had infinite patience.

Now Fred is not here to answer our dumb questions anymore, and others of
his ilk have been driven away, because when we asked them we didn't like
the tone of their responses.

But there are a few left who still lurk here, many not willing to step
in, because they don't appreciate the tone of *our* responses to them.

I'd beg everybody to keep this in mind every time you criticize a
Hertzman, or a Tenney, or some of the other gurus who continue to put up
with us.  Some of these people paid their dues long before most of us
even knew what an Alfa Romeo was.

My vision of Fred in heaven has him driving the hell out of an Alfa,
with Anna in the passenger seat.  But in reality he's probably manning
the tech line.

bs