re:GTV 6 Restoration

AT Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:36:31 -0700 (PDT) John De Trana wrote
>All, I have gotten my garage to the point where I'm
>ready to begin dismantling my 1985 GTV6.  My
>inclination is to remove the vacuum lines first,
>followed by the coolant system, then what?  Any advice
>from those experienced with this would be appreciated.
> I have taken two or so rolls of photographs of the
>engine bay for reference.  Also, I have a parts car
>that I'm planning on leaving intact (mostly) for
>reference purposes.  Thanks.  John DETRANA,

I never did that on a car, but I did something similar on a motorcycle.
Coupla suggestions, coming from my own experience and my own errors.

1) take pics of the progressing work. Better if you get a digital camera
(you're sure you got the pics, no burned films, no developing cost, no limits,
you can view the pic one second after you shot).
This because you cannot believe how many things you will discover once
you removed that radiator or that panel.

2) You removed that part, and it had those holes from which you removed
those screws.  Do not throw the screws in the a box with all the others.
Better putting the screws in those holes, and, using some tape, making sure
they  stay there. Put away the removed part. You cannot imagine how much
time you will save later in rebuilding sessions. Moreover, dealing with an old
iron, it isn't 100% sure that a screw of a give measure will fit in another
hole of the same measure. Better putting every screw on the hole it used to be.
It's not fun drilling threads once again.

3) Remove all fluids BEFORE.  You will work cleaner, even safer, and lighter.

4) Start with simple things (lights, trims, doors, hoods). They are something
you remove FASTLY and their lack on the car will give you a "geez... see how much
work I already did" fake feeling... that will be IMPORTANT on those days you will
feel lost and desire to call a junkyard to come picking your wreck :))))
Sometimes, 1hour on the bodywork will give you a very nice phsycologic boost.
Sometimes, 10hours on the engine bay, will let you realize you did nothing but you
still cannot step back to previous conditions quitting the project.
Moreover, a removed trim will not get damaged in the engine removal process.

Good luck
Luca

"When the chosen people
 grew more strong,
 the rightful cause at length
 became the wrong." (John Dryden, Absalon and Achitophel)

937, '87 Alfa 75 Turbo, '90 Alfa 75 1.8ie, '75 Benelli 500 Quattro, RM250
http://members.xoom.it/nodoubt73