RE: Fred...

I will miss Fred's no-nonsense approach to troubleshooting here on the AD.
Fred was one of those people that whatever he told you to do to fix your
problem, no matter how unlikely, would almost certainly fix it.

I remember some years ago Fred wrote a piece on over-torquing lug nuts,
creating tiny stress cracks and causing them to shear.   At the time it
didn't sound plausible until it actually happened to me.   From that point
on, I never doubted any advice Fred gave.  If he told me to do a dance in my
garage, I'd do it.

Fred's technical and human contribution will be missed.   Prayers go out to
his family and close friends.  A great loss.

-Peter