Re: alfa-digest V9 #437

YOU were lucky, That's all I can say. I've seen GTV-6's which broke their cam belts destroy more than half their valves and pistons and break connecting rods and damage crank bearing journals. You wanna take that chance?

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 04:44 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:11:23 EDT
From: Iopsycheng@domain.elided
Subject: Re: alfa-digest V9 #429

Dean and John,
I've got a news flash for you two... I'm not defending the mechanic who
claimed an Alfa spider jumped the timing chain but I can tell you from
personal experience that losing the timing belt in a 2.5 liter GTV-6 at 6250
RPM will NOT necessarily destroy the entire engine. At 53,000 miles I
stripped 50% of the cogs off of the timing belt while charging up an on ramp.
I had just hit the rev limiter when the failure took place... The engine died
immediately. I tore the heads down and sent them off to Sperry for an
upgrade. As a professional machinist I have access to any precision measuring
and testing equipment imaginable and I and a qualified NDT inspector. The
only damage to the engine was three bent intake valves and a minor nick in
the top of #4 piston. ALL other reciprocating and rotating parts were
undamaged! I reassembled the engine using the original pistons, liners,
pushrods, connecting rods and cam followers. Currently the engine has over
100,000 miles and you can ask anyone in the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Club's
Tidewater branch or Georgian Gaz and they will tell you my GTV-6 runs just
fine and will still turn to the limit any and every time I so desire. It does
now wear a mechanical belt tensioner and the belt gets swapped yearly...
Cheaper that way!
Thomas Gonnella