Need Spider gas tank

In a message dated 4/19/2003 4:09:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 09:52:39 -0700
> From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
> Subject: Need Spider gas tank
>
> A cute gal came by the other day to pick up a pair of diagonal seat
> belts for her 'new' '78 Alfa Spider. When looking at her car I noticed a
> big puddle of gas forming at the rear.
>

> I don't have Spider parts manuals for the 'more modern' Alfas, so all I
> can say is she needs one for a '78 - preferably somewhere in So. Cal,
> better yet, San Gabriel Valley. The '79 in my shop has a cover over it
> (hers doesn't) so couldn't compare.
>

> Biba
> Irwindale, CA USA

       All the Spider gas tanks from 71 to 94 are about the same.  All fit in
the same hole.  The only real difference is the outlet.  The early tanks have
the fuel coming out underneath on the right front corner.  The later tanks
have an intank fuel pump that fits in the gauge sending unit.
       I am not sure exactly what year the fuel outlet changed.  But you can
look underneath to tell easily.  I am guessing the change happened about
1978.
       I do know the Bosch spider all had a metal plate over the top of the
gas tank.  I thought it was to increase strength in case of a rear impact.
Others have suggested that plus it protects the fuel lines coming out of the
top of the tank.  So change may have happened as early as the 79 that you
have.

       For what it is worth, the GTV and Berlina gas tanks are also the same
basic shape.  The only real difference is the filler tube on the GTV and
maybe the Berlina is taller and welded to the tank rather than attached with
a rubber hose.
       Any good radiator shop should be able to modify / repair any gas tank.

  Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City